My experience as a DJ



So I though I would make a post on the benefits of being a DJ and the grim side to it.I can see how some of you would appreciate this as sometimes life presents you with crazy out of the blue opportunities.Some of us choose to take them without a second thought but others are not so sure and skeptical when presented with too good to be true opportunities.

So I thought i would share my experience

Although i am not a Dj currently anymore i use to be one.Entertaning the people, cranking up the party and getting paid while doing a hobby unlike any other.Yes, that sounds great, truth be told it was.But I wanted to share my honest,no bs experience so you can see whether being a Dj can suit your lifestyle.

I have a deep passion for music and specifically speaking speakers, live audio, amplifiers etc.So it came to nobody's surprise that I eventually grew interested in being a disc jockey. Professional audio is very kick ass in my opinion and makes you sufficient money when you know how to use the tools in front of you.Back when I was in High school, i started recording mix tapes and showing friends or interested people.I had a part time job and i was able to invest in buying speakers,mixers,amps,and Dj lights.My dad and I would often go to stores such as guitar center,hermes music, and many more.So with the right the marketing skills and practice mixing, i was off to making a profit with a hobby that I knew and loved.People were calling booking gigs and I had gigs months ahead of time.I know it was insane and I was very appreciative of what being a Dj led to.



How much did I earn as a Dj?

Although i had a rough start at first in getting customers.I was advertising in social media, the local newspaper, and had many business cards to give out.So i started gaining clientele and making a name for myself.I would have gig every week and if I was lucky twice or more a week.On average it was $250 to $300 for type of event.That meant that I was charging according to event,which would hence determine how much equipment I would be able to take to justify the price.So if a client wanted to set aside a date for their event , a deposit needed to be made.

Some customers are just the worst 

Much like anything else whether your a salesman and offer a service there will be two types of customers.And that would be the good and the bad customers.Well let me tell you something just be prepared for those crappy customers that try to make your life a living-breathing hell.It is absolutely the worst when you have to deal with these people.I encounter some rude pricks that don't appreciate the services provided.I would work with the client to give them the best customer satisfaction, but some people are just terrible to be exact.

What music genres did I specialize in?

I would play a variety of music just like any other non mainstream Dj.However the music genres that I would specialize in added a different special feeling to the mixing process.I did a lot of electronica, also referred to EDM which all the crazy hormone-raged teens go nuts about at festivals across the nation.
My first ever mixer was the classic numark cd mix 2 channel console.Man, oh man I would spend hours mixing using that console and not to mention EDM music was blasting up top.Aside from EDM I also specialized in r&b,rap, hip-hop and even some reggeaton.Getting the party started at local bars and clubs.

What you should do before getting started.

Before you start Djing there are a few things to look into.
For example being patient with the beginning process and not getting frustrated if you dont have immediate results.If you want to be successful at being a dj you should carefully analyze the segments.Like what you should be doing at each phase along the way.There is a load of competition from aspiring Djs such as yourself.These no name djs seek to find and create profit,get recognized,and hopefully make it one day.
So here are some tips to follow.

  • Association yourself with people that are gonna help you grow as a Dj.Your network is very important when becoming a successful Dj.Some of my friends and acquaintances were promoters,self aspiring rappers,and other local musicians.Reach out and see if they can help you grow your name and you can do the same for them.
  • Use adequate marketing strategies to start getting gigs.like i mentioned before you can do social media,do flyers, and business cards alike.
  • If you do not have the money to invest, use the free virtual DJ program.when i started Djing I would use the virtual DJ program to record sample mixtapes to send to anyone that was interested.Even if they were not, if they saw how good you are, they will tell people about you.
  • Have fun will doing it.The single most best thing to know is to have fun being a Dj if you want to be one.And if you know how to make it,then give it a shot and enjoy doing so.I had a blast when I was a Dj and I am sure you will too if you decide to be one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 gangster movies

Wild willies beard boost serum opinions

The player virtuoso effect